Here’s the third installment in my state-of-the-blog posts:
2021 Blog Stats:
- 382 WordPress / email subscribers
- 38% growth from last year (298)
- 317 Feedly subscribers:
- 10% growth from last year (288)
- 92,017 pageviews this year (33% less than 2020).
- 2020 pageviews: 137,594.
- 2019 pageviews: 78,266.
- Posts/month: ~2.
- 2021 Profitability:
- Amazon affiliate revenue: $54.51
- Personal capital referral bonuses: $40
- Blog costs (domain + digitalocean hosting): $84*(1-5.25%) = $79.59
- $6/month VPS hosting at digitalocean
- $1/month for domain name at google domains
- 5.25% cash back for “online” category at BoA
- Profit (ignoring home internet costs, etc): $14.92
- Profit/hr (assume 1 hr/post): $0.62.
A few screenshots for the curious
Pageviews by month. My anemic posting schedule this year failed to appease the algorithm gods of Google this year. If I added a trend line on this chart, it would probably slope downwards.
Most popular pageviews during the year 2021.
Traffic sources. I refuse to use social media because it makes me dumber.
Total 2021 Amazon affiliate income.
Geographic dispersion of visitors in 2021. Not terribly informative.
I have 296 YouTube followers. My sheep dog biking video has been viewed 424k times. I remain convinced that this video will be my most lasting legacy on Earth. I feel like I need to apologize to humanity for my contribution to the wormhole of mindless YouTube content. At least I’m not unboxing stuff….
Should you become a financial blogger? Of course! I can think of no more productive use of 12 years of college than making $0.62/hr blogging!!!!